Referrals for a driving assessment can be initiated by a Support Coordinator / Support Planner, GP/specialist, allied health professional, client or family member. All referrals must be accompanied by medical clearance and certificate from a GP/specialist, and a vision assessment completed by an Optometrist/Ophthalmologist.
We are able to service:
- NDIS participants (we are NDIS registered!)
- NIISQ participants
- TAC clients
- other general insurance / solicitor based clients
To save you unnecessary additional communication steps, please follow the instructions below:
Call Zeta our Practice Manager to book an appointment, and then the client will need to see the GP and Optometrist (older person / neurological condition) and gather the forms below.
For NDIS clients, we also require the NDIS Plan and details.
Once you have all the necessary documents, please send ALL of the documents to Zeta our Practice Manager on , so she can then confirm the appointment.
Referrals must include:
--> refer to the Guide: "How to complete a Medical Certificate"
--> Client MUST take this medical certificate to QLD Transport office for processing. They will likely have an "M" medical condition endorsement placed on their licence - this just means that they need to carry the medical clearance for driving.
--> older drivers, clients with neurological conditions/injuries MUST see the Optometrist / Ophthalmologist to complete this form. Otherwise GP can do visual acuity and visual fields on the QLD Transport Medical Certificate.
4) Insured Clients:
- full name
- who is the decision maker for the client
- phone number
- case number
- case manager name and contact details
- email address
- purpose of assessment: driving / driving with modifications / access/wheelchair stowage / travelling as a passenger / driving from wheelchair / potential to drive / vehicle ergonomics
- client's medical condition/disability
- current licence class (none vs learner vs open)
- basic overview of current level of function: mobility, transfers, upper limbs, lower limbs, cognition
For NDIS Participants:
- NDIS Participant number, plan start date and plan end date
- funding type, support coordinator details, plan manager details (as relevant)
- Copy of NDIS plan: our service provision often lasts a period of months, to even a year or two - it is so much easier for us to have a copy of the plan on file, so when it is time to complete a vehicle modifications application or review lessons, we can write the goals word for word on the plan, and check what items are included on the plan (eg car mods - composite, or specialised driving lessons). We charge the NDIS rate for OTs $193.99 and develop a tailored service agreement, anticipating the hours that will be required for the job.
5) Hospital discharge summary or any reports previously completed by community / paediatric Occupational Therapists, Psychologists, Neurologist, Psychiatrists, Physiotherapist.
6) Photograph of driver's licence.
Withholding information can result in an inaccurate assessment and incorrect recommendations - which could lead to significant risks for the client and the community.
This is a big process, so well done for getting this far!
If you are still stuck, Zeta our Practice Manager will be more than happy to answer any questions - ph: 0407 671 621.
Thank you for your support with this streamlined process, to get your Participants booked in for an appointment faster.